Friday, May 2, 2014

Bike Accident


 This is going to be a long one. I don't even know where to begin! I graduated, I had an odd first day as a graduate student, we are loving spring (I can never decide if seasons get capitalized), we celebrated Easter, and more! Okay, first of all Spring is awesome! I love it when it snows pink blossoms from the trees.  



Tim bought a bike so we can go on rides now. We like to ride to the RB and play tennis, racquetball and volleyball. Also, we have been doing major spring cleaning and I parted ways with 3/4 of my shirts. It's hard for me to throw out clothes that are technically still wearable, even though most are 6+ years old, came from a thrift store in the first place, and are now far too small. Plus, I feel emotionally attached to even the clothes I dislike because they have memories with them like the shirt I was wearing when Tim proposed etc. But, it feels great to have cleaned out a bunch of stuff. (P.S. I know that Orson has a lecture prepared for the comments section about the importance de-junking, but don't worry, Tim also has strong feelings about it and he keeps me in check.)


So, I graduated last week and went out to Kneaders with the Egans for the marvelous french toast. Tuesday was my first official day as a grad student and it was...a little unusual. For starters, I went to my first class and I was the only student registered for it. So, the teacher said he'll guide my studies for the semester and I'll still take the tests in the testing center. This means I can never be tardy or not do my homework because that would just be awkward haha.

Then, on my way to my next class, I got in a little accident. I was riding my bike to tennis class on the sidewalk and started going pretty fast. You can ask Tim- usually I'm a really slow bike rider because I like to take my time. But, there were no pedestrians, so I started picking up speed. As I passed in front of an underground parking garage, a car came zipping out and I slammed right into it. I'm always on the lookout for cars coming out of those, but it came so fast, I just didn't have time to slow down (the picture shows my tire streak trying to slow down). It's crazy how fast your mind can work when adrenaline is pumping. In the split second between when I saw the car and collided with it, I had a whole conversation in my head: "woah that's coming up fast. Can I slow down? Nope. Okay, this is happening. Yikes, that girl looks familiar- this could be awkward if she's in my ward. Oh wait, no I don't know her." ...then BAM! My bike is kind of broken, but it might be just that the chain fell off. I didn't feel any pain right when it happened, but when I came home I started to feel all the bumps and bruises (some as big as my fist!) Even though it wasn't very serious, it was still pretty scary and my heart was racing for several hours after.


 In other news, we learned how to make really good omelets with ham, cheese, bacon and bell peppers! Tim has very impressive flipping skills.


For Easter, we made baskets for each other and a trail of clues and riddles to find it. We also hid Easter eggs around the apartment for each other to find. It was quite fun! We visited Tim's grandma and hung out with Richard and Diane.



It's pretty fun having the Bell's in town. At least Tristan thinks so because he gets to play with their awesome dinosaurs. He was roaring like this for about 20 minutes straight. 


Graduation bowling with some friends
 Also, in the spirit of spring cleaning, I chopped off a bunch of hair which felt great as it always does.



 This is me at work. I play piano for rehearsals of the Spring opera. It's super fun!


Tim testing out an Oculus on campus
Tim and I went to go check out Richard's house for them when they were in Idaho. I meant to share the pictures and video tour with only him, but I accidentally posted it on Google+. I tried to delete the post, but I've been steadily getting messages from friends congratulating my on buying my first house for weeks now.


april fools day joke by BYU..put on all professor's doors
This is from the day that Tim and I were bogged down with studying and decided to drive into the canyon for a spontaneous bonfire! That was awesome. And tasty.



creepy chuck e cheese robot at Tristan's birthday party

3 comments:

  1. Good post as usual, Pen. I'm very proud of you graduating. Dad says congratulations and hopes the bruises and aches heal soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It always feels good to get rid of clothes (even though it is hard) but then you just have more of a excuse to buy new ones! Congrats BYU grad! Hopefully the program isn't time cosuming this summer so you can come to the pool with us lots!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how the health challenge brings out the evil in spouses. That Oreos thing was beyond the pail.

    ReplyDelete