Friday, January 14, 2011

Superfly Piano Mama


I had my first lesson of the semester on Tuesday and Dr. Holden and I worked out what I'll be working on this semester.

--learning the 2nd and 3rd movements of the Beethoven Sonata I played last semester (HARD)
--polishing the last half of the Bach French Suite I played last semester (should be fine)
--learning Liszt's Liebestraum No. 3 (my favorite)
--learning another short Liszt piece to compliment the Liebestraum
--brushing up all my scales/arppeggios to 144=quarter note (...ugh)
--relearning the other Rachmaninoff prelude (op. 23 no 5)

I made the mistake of telling him that I played the Rachmaninoff prelude for my senior recital. In all honesty, I never really learned it that well (not according to his standards anyway). So now I'm nervous to play it for him next lesson because he's gonna think "wow. she played that for her recital?" But, oh well haha.

Condoleezza Rice spoke at the Marriott Center yesterday about her life, education, and current events etc. Apparently she is a classically trained pianist and majored in Piano Performance for 2 years until she switched to International Relations or something. She mentioned repeatedly how glad she was she switched her major and how awesome her life is now. Other than that, I thought it was a great talk/speech. "Today's headlines and history's judgment are rarely the same." "It doesn't matter where you come from, only where you are going."

I've also been learning about accounting through Emily. She's taking an online course and watches these video lessons every night. Also, my friend who works on the activities committee convinced me to audition for this thing called "Grand Pianos Live." I know almost nothing about it besides what she told me: auditions the 11th, event's on the 19th, its in the Wilk, you can play whatever you want it doesn't have to be classical. So, I wrote a cover medley of "Chasing Cars" by Snow Patrol and "Just the Way You Are" by Bruno Mars. Chasing Cars was easy to figure out, then I had to transpose Just the Way You Are into the same key. I might be biased, but I think it turned out pretty cool. Orson and I were contemplating stage names if I get famous. What do you think? Superfly Piano Mama, Penny Playa 3000, P. Belly, Puff Chilla Bell? suggestions
welcome

2 comments: