
My freshman year of college is drawing to a close. My pre-jury recital is tonight, my real jury is a week from yesterday, finals begin in a week and 1 day, and I fly to Washington April 23rd. I think its funny how confused all the freshman are right now because we're not sure whether to be excited about going home or not. We have two homes now. It will indeed be sad to leave BYU for 4 months, but I am looking forward to this summer. I've heard the summer after your first year of college is weird and somewhat frustrating to be under parents' jurisdiction again but I think this summer is going to be awesome. Anyway, more of this college wrap-up later. This last month has been delightful. I got to skype with Becca, Steph, and Krystal (above). I got to see general conference live, which was awesome. It was much more engaging because I was actually in the same room as the speakers. We got seats in the front section on the floor and I could see Pres Monson shuffle papers and share a chuckle with Pres Uchdorf. The talks were all great, I really liked Pres Eyring's talk on helping people, the talk on desires, and Richard G. Scott's talk about marriage.

Our ward hiked the Y to listen to the afternoon session, so Heather and I rushed back from Salt Lake so we would go and meet them up there. We hiked for 45 minutes and arrived just as they were leaving because it looked like a storm was coming. We stayed and listened to conference anyway and enjoyed some scrumptious sandwiches. Sunday, it snowed 4 -5 inches and someone made a gigantic snow-President-Monson in front of my building.
Basketball season was awesome, I went to as many games as I could. The last home game was the best - a culmination of all Jimmermania. One of my hall-mates has 3 life-size posters of Jimmer and then pictures of his face wrapping around the walls.
Piano is going very well, I feel pretty confident in all my songs. I might start a concerto over the summer for the competition next year. I signed up for classes next year: Organ, Keyboarding Technique, Theory 3, Sight Singing 3, Dictation 3, Chemistry, Piano Lessons, Masterclass, and New Testament.

The hiking the Y at night was a separate occasion, it was really fun. Well, except for the drive up and down because I was in the trunk with 2 other people going up winding roads and you all know how I am with car-sickness. Also, I'm not normally afraid of heights, but I can't stand up on the actual Y because I feel like I'm going to fall to my death.
Right now, Emily and I are creating a video montage of our freshman year. Its slow going because we can't really work on it until we're done with finals and such. We muted some video clips we took throughout the year and put it to some upbeat music. The other night, we switched out the upbeat music for a sad Enya song and we almost cried because it looked like something you'd play at a funeral.
In sum, I think I've had a fabulous and very freshmany freshman year here at BYU.-consumed lots of cake mix in a bowl and lots of extra-butter popcorn
-had movie nights every weekend
-hiked the Y 4 times
-had frequent dance parties with strobe light
-ate at the cannon 4-5 times a day
-spent a lot of hours at the piano
-never went to bed before 11pm
-got to go to the temple a lot
-became best friends with my roommate
And then, I've also had some experiences that are kind of unique like:
-I lost the use of my arm for a few weeks after that freak blood drive accident
-I karate chopped a board in half
-I learned some Russian from working at the cannon
-I was there when Jimmer broke scoring records
-I got the mangled fork from the dishroom overflow incident
-I camped for 3 days in the snow for housing
Anyway, I should go study.
whoa, whoa...and and you didn't get a picture of a giant snow-Monson?
ReplyDeleteA very freshmany year indeed. Is there a way to go on and up from here, or will the rest of college be downhill?
ReplyDeleteWe are excited to have you home for the summer. I, along with A., wish for a picture of the Prophet snow creation.
you rode in a trunk up a windy mountainous hill and didn't throw up??? i notice dinner at my house was not mentioned on the list of highlights:)J/K Sounds like a lot of good times!
ReplyDeletesorry A., i don't have a camera. sorry D., it certainly was a highlight, fun-wise and delicious-wise.
ReplyDelete