Daylight savings has really made life interesting this year! It has tricked me not once, not twice, not thrice, but FOUR times.
Trick #1: So our organist went out of town on Sunday and asked me to play the organ for sacrament meeting. Unfortunately, this particular organ doesn't come with the handy "bass coupler" button so I knew I would have to play with my feet on the pedals (which is significantly harder). So, I planned to practice for a 1/2 hour before the meeting at 1:30pm. According to schedule, Tim and I got ready to leave to be there at 1pm for me to practice. Tim got a call from the bishop asking to meet with him at 1pm. What Tim should have said is "Cool, we were just on our way over anyway!" to which the bishop would have replied "1pm isn't for another hour." But alas, no such luck. When we got to the church building, Tim couldn't find the bishop and I couldn't get into the chapel because another ward was in there. I assumed they were running late and was getting nervous that I wouldn't be able to practice. After 20 minutes, Tim figured it out and we went home.
Trick #2: After we got home from church, we ate dinner and then realized we only had 10 minutes before our guests were going to arrive! (We were hosting a game night). In a panic, we washed dishes, tidied the living room, and cleaned the bedroom before we realized we actually had an extra hour. We chuckled to ourselves, amused that we had been duped twice. Little did we know.....that it wasn't over.
Trick #3: Not wanting to fall victim to Daylight savings again, we reset all of our clocks in the apartment. Monday night, Tim picked me up from school and suggested we eat out and go mini-golfing for our FHE activity. We made a stop at Wendy's then continued on the 1/2 hour journey to Trafalga. We were almost there when we realized it was going to close in only 20 minutes! How had time gotten away from us? Just when we had made the decision to turn around, we realized the clock in the car was still wrong.
Trick #4: Okay, all of the clocks in our possession have been reset. No possible mishaps now right? Well, trick #4 ironically occurred while I was writing this blog. I went to the computer lab before my 2pm class for a few hours to work on homework. After I finished that, I started a blog about the crazy time I was fooled 3 times by daylight savings. Halfway through writing it, I glanced at the clock and with horror, saw that I was 25 minutes late to my class! I bolted up, logged off the computer, and started jogging to my class. They hadn't reset the clocks in the Chemistry building yet. As I crossed the courtyard, I checked the time on my phone and realized that I wasn't late. I raised my fists to the sky and shouted "Curse you, Daylight Savings!!" ....okay not really.
You might read this and think the moral is to reset your clocks or to write yourself a note on daylight saving. But nay (although clearly, it could save you a lot of grief), the moral is that every hour is precious. I realized this 4 times, as I was given the gift of an hour I thought I didn't have. Happy Daylight Savings everyone!
Just think what will happen next time when it starts up again and you lose every precious hour...
ReplyDeleteIsn't your title missing an "again"
ReplyDeleteI wish they didn't change the time.
ReplyDelete