This is inspired by a campus-wide event called "Day in the Life at BYU" where you take pictures of normal moments during your day. I don't really plan on submitting these to BYU, but I thought the idea was cool because it shows what daily life is really like. And because...well, I'm the second type of person. So, without further ado: here's a day in the life of Penny.
Friday Nov 8th, 2012 - (the reason why I haven't posted this yet is because after I wrote the entire thing on Nov 9th, my computer shut down unexpectedly and I lost everything. This was tragic and made me lose the will to blog. Anyway, this is a somewhat abridged version.)
My day started out by Tim bringing me breakfast in bed!
Finally, I faced the cold world and started getting ready.
Then, I grabbed some socks out of my sock drawer aka. walmart bag haha.
We're pinched for time, so I forgo make-up and hair. Right before we run out the door, we are both scooping random food from the cupboards into a lunchbag.
You probably can't tell from this picture, but it's raining pretty hard outside so we decided to drive.
Can you see the Y?
Rainy mornings are very cozy feeling.
Aah, home sweet HFAC.
Since it's a Friday, I only have 1 class - Form and Analysis. It's the study of how music is structured and composition methods used over time.
During the lecture, I work on the homework for next week. It's to analyze a Bach Suite and write a page about it.
Piece of cake!
Next, I start workin on some doodles.
After class, I finish getting ready (along with about 5 other girls crammed in front of the mirror). I'd say about 60% of the time I finish getting ready on campus.
Wa-lah!
Now...the hunt for a practice room. All 40 of the basement rooms are taken.
E-400! This is a rare find! I'm pretty excited.
About 5 minutes later, I realize I have to grab a piece of music from my locker downstairs. This is stressful because a sweet piano like this is sure to be snagged in the few minutes that I'm gone. Seriously, once I left my backpack on the bench and when I returned from the bathroom, a guy had moved it and was practicing on the piano. It was sort of awkward. Anyway, the solution is to literally put everything you own on the piano to mark your territory.
After a couple hours of practicing, I got hungry and part of my lunch and found a cute note from Tim slipped inside! (We are really trying to use up extra thank you cards from our wedding)
Next, I went to the ALMA lab to do some homework. This place is awesome! There are computers hooked up to electronic pianos. I do all of my homework here and some practicing. I spend about a 1/3 of my day here if not more.
Since it's Friday, music students do "Concert and Noon" and we perform for each other. I can't watch today though because I'm in a hurry to get things done before work at 1:00.
The art students have done some pretty cool stuff lately.
Right before work, I stop at the ticket office to get tickets to the Balinese Gamelan concert and the Folk Music concert that I need to attend for my World Music class tonight. The lady was incredibly, incredibly slow, so I'm worried that I'm going to be late for work.
The rain has turned to snow and I have to run to the Benson Building where I work. It's 12:56 and the Chemistry building is all the way on the other side of campus!
I cut through the Bookstore and pass all the tempting cute clothes and delicious looking candy. Apparently I had time to stop and snap a picture haha.
Made it to the Chemistry building! It's 12:58 and I'm faced with a dilemma. I realize that I'm super hungry, and I can either warm up my pasta now or be hungry until 5:30 when I get off work. I choose food.
So, I run down to the basement microwave with my pasta and...dang it! This girl swooped right in front of me. And she has a huge meal to warm up.
Now I'm at work and it's really busy with students lined up to ask about add/drop codes etc. And my queue was filled up with copy jobs, mailings, and other requests from professors. I still find it pretty amusing that these old guys with multiple PhD's need me to help format word documents and stuff haha.
By the time I got a second to eat my stroganoff....it was stone cold :(
So yeah! That's my work...designing some posters for seminar speakers,
makin lots of copies....
putting up some posters....
delivering some paper....
filling up some printers....
When I was on the 4th floor, this hazard alarm went off. According to the sign, it was "dangerous radioactive materials".
By the time I got off work, it was getting dark. I had a while before the Folk Ensemble concert, so I headed for the cougareat.
sidenote: awesome tree!!
As I cut through the bookstore again, I looked at Halloween decorations.
And Christmas decorations already?
and Thanksgiving decorations?
Then, I treated myself to some creamery chocolate milk. mmmm.
I went back to the ALMA lab to practice my accompanist music for this flute player. Then, I met up with her for our rehearsal. I'm accompanying about 9 people right now, it's nuts!
We end the rehearsal just in time for me to make it to the Folk Ensemble. But! Then I remembered I need to print off the question sheet to fill out while listening to the concert. I run back to the ALMA, but the only printer is out of paper! Grrr! The other tray has 11x17 paper, so in desperation, I take a few of those, carefully tear them in half, and wah-la! 8x11 paper!
Then, I run to the Madsen Recital hall just in time for the concert. (My days usually include a fair amount of running)
...and it was awesome!! There was a bagpipe guy and a bunch of irish folk songs.
The End! I have to run because Tim and I are headed for the airport to go to St. Louis for Christmas! i just wanted to get this up before we left. Merry Christmas!
This is an awesome post. Have fun on Christmas.
ReplyDeleteNice to know what a day in the life of Penny is like, and that was a cool tree, and now I really want some chocalate milk!
ReplyDeleteThis is awesome because (A) I am a solid type 2 person (B) I actually have saved in my blog drafts 4 separate posts entitled "A day in the life of..." for each member of our family. I have been planning to do them for a while now. So don't take it as copying when those show up soon, just that great minds think alike:)
ReplyDelete