To: My Family
From: Penny Perkins
Date: June 25, 2013
Re: PERKINS PLANS FOR THE SUMMER
Because I just finished my Business Writing class, I am thusly obsessed with using memo format for every written document. In this blog, I shall discuss the following aspects of our summer: (a) the rodeo, (b) the camping trip, (c) my keyboard ensemble recital, and (d) future plans for the summer.
The Rodeo
Tim and I went to the strawberry days rodeo in pleasant grove last weekend - it was awesome! Well...it became a lot more awesome after we actually obtained seats. When we arrived, the rodeo bleachers were already filled and people were sitting on the stairs and standing in the back. Someone really overestimated the capacity of this stadium. Anyway, we grabbed a spot on the stairs with our friends Garrett and Heather and got strawberries and cream (thanks for the tip, Grandma - those were so tasty!). Figure 1 shows us on the stairs enjoying the wild cow milking event.
![]() |
| Fig. 1 (Pleasant Grove Stadium) |
We spent a lot of time trying to figure out the scoring methods. How does one put a score on wrestling cows or riding a bull? The dirt bike jumps were pretty crazy; I still can't believe people really do this. Figure 2 shows the ramps set up for the guy to do a flip.
| Fig. 2 (we were amazed) |
Camping Trip
We went camping with Garrett/Heather and Ryan/Heather in Hobble Creek Canyon a few weeks ago. It was a pretty campsite and perfect weather. We hiked along Wardsworth Creek for a few hours before heading home (Figure 3).
| Fig. 3 (Wardsworth Creek) |
For my ensemble class, five of us piano majors formed a piano-quintet and performed in a recital for the Summerfest students (Figure 4). I posted a couple videos on facebook of us playing.
| Fig. 4 (Two members not shown) |
So what now? Pirates of Penzance is over now (Figure 5) and I just finished finals week for Spring Term. I have something like 8 weeks left until schools starts up again. *aaaand spoiler alert - one of those weeks will be in the Bahamas! We're going on a cruise from Florida. Anyway, I'm teaching 5 piano students right now with 4 more on the way. I'm thinking about getting a part time campus job to get some work hours while I collect more students. It's pretty awesome having a break from school - it's been a solid 10 months since my last break - and that was mostly wedding planning/getting married. (What? 1 year anniversary in a month?) Tim is working full time at Qualtrics right now and he's working on some cool projects. Here's the link to a couple of the pages he built/designed: Check 'em out!
Designed: http://www.qualtrics.com/
![]() |
| Fig. 5 (BYU Cast members) |
![]() |
| We're going on a cruise!! |



To: Phoebes
ReplyDeleteFrom: Orson
Date: Today
Re: This blog post
I for one appreciate the organization and formality of businessy memo format, and would not be opposed to its continued use vis a vis the blogosphere.
Additionally, the Tim's webpage look interesting. However, I am unfamiliar with the differences between designing and building a webpage.
In conclusion, conclusion.
Re: Above comment
ReplyDeletePardon, I should have clarified. For your reference:
designing = creatively making a layout at style of a webpage. Happens in photoshop.
building = typing in all the HTML and PHP coding to get the browser to show it like the design you made. More technical than creative.
1. Like Orson, I appreciate the systematic layout of this post. However, I would be opposed to taking the next obvious step down the road to formality and methodization: lawyerese.
ReplyDelete2. I've been to that rodeo, and it's awesome. The strawberries and cream are worth any sum. Side note: after much research, I discovered they make it using the vanilla ice cream mix before it's frozen.
3. Website: awesome. I love that most of our family has kept to the Nelson tradition of computer nerdiness.
4. Despite your best attempts at organization, it seems you failed to mention one very important trip this summer: your trip to Phoenix to lavish affection upon your most adorable nieces and nephew.
For clarification purposes I think it was Ryan that told you about the strawberries and cream:)
ReplyDelete