Before I get into "thoughts and feelings about graduating" I'll catch you up on some recent happenings.
Recent Happenings: Well, I had my senior piano recital on May 29th. Officially, I'm supposed to claim it went fabulous, but in all truthfulness,for me, it was probably closer to an ordeal than a performance. I do feel fine about it now that its at least a week in the past, and I think it was an overall success for the purposes of sharing music with my family and friends. However, it was 45 minutes of memorized music and after about 20, I was physically tired and mentally worn out. During one piece, I blanked on the ending and actually paused. When I couldn't jog my memory I just made up some chords to end it. I accidentally skipped 3 whole pages of another piece. After several incidents like this that wore down my confidence, I chickened out on the Bach fugue and passed over it all together. The last song was the concerto that Dr. Bowling accompanied me on, and it was AWESOME so at least it ended on a good note. (no pun intended har har) For refreshments, Mom made cake, punch and.....bacon. Not sure where that came from, but it smelled heavenly.
Also notable is the Knighting ceremony. There were 30 nominees (chosen by Senior class) and I think 15 people Knighted (chosen by staff/student committee). I really didn't expect to get Knighted because the other nominees were pretty cool people and it's not like I'm significantly smarter or more personable than any of them. Haha, I guess you know you hang out with the brainiacs when you're slightly ashamed to admit your GPA is 3.7 and you didn't get Student of the Month at all this year.
Ok, now we're into thoughts and feelings about graduating:
Wow, what a momentous time this is. Graduating High School kind of marks the end of the structured "go to school, come home, do homework, hang out, go back to school" routine. Not as much for me because I'm going to college, but still, that's just my life choice, it isn't required by law. Starting Wednesday, I could stay home and watch TV until the world runs out of chocolate milk and potato chips, and there would be no "your child missed one or more classes today" calls. Anyway, tonight is seminary graduation and I'm giving a short talk and musical number. I'm the only senior from Bremerton, so next year when I'm at BYU, all my friends will still be here having Mormon Parties, dances, conferences, service projects, and activities etc. I'm stoked for BYU, but I'm gonna miss that. Miss them. But don't worry, I don't see myself getting homesick.
In less than a week, I'll be licensed to say "Back in High School......" How weird is THAT?! Seems like just yesterday I was parting my hair in the middle and rolling up my jeans to show off my Harry Potter socks.
It's a wierd feeling. You'll get it again when you graduate college. The world is your oyster.
ReplyDelete3 days left!! And Wednesday hardly counts. I'm looking forward to the band concert tonight.
ReplyDeleteumm... about "if you didn't go to college you could choose to lay around the house and eat watermelon & potato chips"? Not quite true.
It is an awesomely amazing feeling to think: I could do anything I want and nobody could stop me. As I recall, at some point Orson actually made the committment to do absolutely nothing at all for one or more of those post high-school days and was wildly successful at it. I bet he's wishing to do that again at this point.
ReplyDeleteWhat I can't believe is that your first day of kindergarten was my first day at college and you've already gone thru all your school. Craziness... College is way more fun than high school, at least for me it was.. Congrats on all the awesomeness by the way, Lady Bell, seminary graduate etc, etc.
ReplyDeletewow. i didn't know that Diane, that is pretty crazy! Ha. I never would have predicted me and Penny would be in college at the same. Annaliese, I'm surprised I found it necessary to make the committment to do absolutley nothing after high school, i don't recall doing anything while still in high school.
ReplyDelete